Biographical Resources and Membership Directories
- Authors of plant names : a list of authors of scientific names of plants, with recommended standard forms of their names, including abbreviations (Brummitt, R.K. and C.E. Powell, eds). Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, 1992. (QK96 .A87). Standard abbreviations for names of authors of plant names.
- Notae biographiae peregrinatorum Indiae occidentalis botanicorum (Ignaz Urban) Berolini : Fratres Borntraeger, 1902 (QK225 U73 1898 v. 3 (pt. 2). In Symbolae Antillanae : seu fundamenta florae Indiae Occidentalis
- Biographical notes upon botanists (John Hendley Barnhart). Boston: G.K Hall, 1965 (QK26 .B38 1965).
- Index of botanists (Harvard) includes authors, collectors and publication authors.
- Morphometrics at SUNY Stony Brookis a directory of meetings, people, etc. associated with morphometrics.
- Naturalist’s Directory (Cassino, S.E.). Salem, Mass., Naturalist’s Agency, 1877-1954 (Q145 .S4). Many editions; gives addresses, institutions and interests of botanists, naturalists, etc. world-wide.
- TL2 online (Taxonomic literature Z5354.C53 R4 1976 Reference) includes citations to biographical information
- Who is who in phylogenetic networks includes articles, authors, and programs
- Wikipedia contains many excellent biographies (see, for example, that for distinguished Professor Emeritus R. F. Thorne and the Category: Botanists by Nationality). The Wiki is also good forsummaries of important books (for example, Darwin’s Fertilisation of orchids).
Helpful hints: Many floras have notes on historical collections from the flora area and information on collectors or authors (Munz 1959; Brewer and Watson 1880, etc.)